Thursday, April 28, 2016

Crazy Birds - Cut@Home Guest Designer

I am pleased to announce that I will be a Guest Designer for Cut@Home for a bit. Be sure to check them out, they have a ton of major brands. Be sure to signup for their VIP program for great coupons!

                                             https://www.ucutathome.com/index.php


In this tutorial I will show you how to make a colorful watercolored card using Tim Holtz Crazy Birds stamps and dies.




To start with I used Canson 90# watercolor paper. Ink the stamps to be used with Versafine Black which will not run with water. I used one of the Bird Crazy Stamps  and some of the accessories from Crazy Things Stamps.


Cut each image with the coordinating dies Framelit Die Set Bird CrazyFramelit Die Set Crazy Things  on the Vagabond. For the scribble die cut I used Scribbles & Splats Thinlits and cut using the Precision Cutting Plate on the Vagabond.



Now for the background. I used Strathmore 400 Series of Cold Pressed 140# paper. Brushos is a paint pigment powder which I poked a hole in the lid. Sprinkle on a small amount of powder. I used Lemon, Yellow and Sandstone. Spritz with water. How much you spray will determine the look. I like the spots of color so I don't tend to spray a lot. You can tilt the paper, dab, spread with a brush and even add more dry pigment to the wet areas. Just play and see what you like.



I love using these powders so I have a stash of backgrounds built up:-) Don't be afraid to experiment to see what you like. If you really don't like one just use it for die cut shapes.



Using Distress Markers, color the images. Add full strength to the edges and shaded areas then blend with water. Or if you want a more vibrant color just use the markers. I used 4 colors on all the images. I decided to try the bird them out on different backgrounds.



Once I decided on the yellow it helped me to choose the color to make the scribble. I colored it with the Cracked Pistachio. Cut the finished background using Spellbinders A2 Distressed Edges die.



Cut a cardbase 4 1/4" X 11" and score at 5 1/2". I use a small tip ball on the handle from Deluxe Flower Shaping Tool Kit.  I find it easier to score with the tip and handle rather then a bone folder. I do press the crease/fold with the bone folder.

Next stamp the sentiment (I used some from my stash). Glue everything into place. I love the Art Institute glue. Not only because of how great it holds but the shape and material are the easiest for me to squeeze. I like a liquid glue because I can shift things a bit when needed.

Last of all I drew in the line for balloons string with a black marker.

Cut At Home Products Used:
Bird Crazy Stamps 
Framelit Die Set Bird Crazy
Crazy Things Stamps
Framelit Die Set Crazy Things  
A2 Distressed Edges
Scribbles & Splats Thinlits
Distress Markers 
Dusty Concord, Rusty Hinge, Cracked Pistachio, Mermaid Lagoon
Cutterpillar Pro
Vagabond
Deluxe Flower Shaping Tool Kit


Other Products Used:
 Brushos
Versafine Ink
Strathmore 400 Series Paper
Canson Watercolor Paper
Gina K Cardstock
Gina K Stamps for sentiment

3 comments:

  1. Your card is adorable. I have those birds and I love them to. They are so cute and so funny. Would love to see more using them

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing card Joyce & thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete