Sunday, June 28, 2015

DYI Stamp Geni

Make your own stamp positioner to fit your budget! 

  I have been thinking about this for awhile now. But recently I had a bad experience with (the owner) of a very expensive stamping tool. As a result I decided to no longer promote or support it but I needed an alternative to show in screenshots and videos. I have a couple of cost friendly alternatives.

What is a stamp positioner? You may be familiar with the "Stamp-A-Ma-Jig" which allows you to line up your stamp. In theory you should be able to re-stamp in the exact same location. This usually gives mixed results. 

1. Stamp Positioning using Stamp-A-Ma-Jig

See how to use HERE (StampTV)

Amazon (afilliate)



2. Using a magnetic mat

This one was zero cost since I had all the bits. The pink is a We R Memory Keepers magnetic mat with the ruler. I've had it for a long time and just used it under my craft sheet. This way it is being used for what is was meant for. I found some other size mats which I will list. They have teal now instead of pink, boy is that tempting. Notice my desk color LOL. The tan paper you see is a paper washi tape folded over the magnet with a tab. Actually my 2 magnets are stuck together here LOL.


1. Mat or a magnetic sheet. I have tested using the vent cover magnets I got from Home Depot (very inexpensive)

2. Positioner, I had one from my Position-It tool. I found a really great price on a positioner and a block which I will show below

3. Glue Neodymium Magnets under the positioner to keep it stable. Mine are 3/8"X1/8". I tested this portion to see if the 1/16" I have would hold it securely and it did not. But 2 together did. I also measured a clear stamp and it clears a 1/8" magnet. 

4. Foam, thick enough to be higher than the magnets and to butt up against the positioner. I have 2 fun foam sheets here.

5. Plastic quilters template grid

6. Stamp block, this is a Tim Holtz one. For me it is too long so I will use the one with the new positioner I ordered. I like the thin ones because they are lighter. I made a handle out of clear tape.

PORTABLE VERSION

Get a piece of masonite cut to size (Home Depot will cut) and sand the edges. Paint if desired. Glue the positioner into place. Glue a piece of magnetic sheet to size desired.





 ALTERNATIVE

POSTION-IT TOOL

This is not magnetic. The video shows how to assemble.
Video for Position-It   Amazon for purchase

The positioner is held in with pegs. You could add a magnetic sheet and plastic grid. The footprint is large  10" by 11-1/2" but some want the large size:-)

The photo is my completed one. I added the magnet on top of the Position-It then added a piece of foam and topped with a quilters grid. I used the 6X6 acrylic sheet that came with the tool. I glued on the suction cup handle since it didn't stick very well. I am using this since Ican't handle a block. You see wooden pegs in the positioner because I lost the clear ones:-)






















 3. CUPID

A Facebook friend made one she calls "Cupid". Her YouTube video is HERE. She uses the Cuttlebug  All In One embossing folder. This is the one I made. The white is a magnet. then a quilters grid on top.








I appreciate your comments very much! Ask questions etc. but PLEASE DO NOT mention any other tool except DYI (or I will delete the comment). This is a DYI stamp positioner.



LINKS FOR DYI POSITIONS ON YOUTUBE



Clear DVD case.

A video by Jodi from Hallmark Scrapbook using a DVD Case



 Use Picture Frame

Video is in Spanish but you can see how to use picture frame material 


Use an Acrylic Plate

A4 size made with an acrylic plate, cardboard, glue gun and 3 hinges.




Be sure to subscribe to email because I will update this page:-)










31 comments:

  1. Very clever - a work in progress, and I think you are on to something. I like the magnetic part. That's what was missing with the other positioner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will add a magnet and add that photo shortly

      Delete
  2. Awesome idea, I won't buy the other one ever just because of how nasty I have seen the owner being. She will NEVER get my business. I made one from my letterpress. Hey we can get it done, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one coming on Monday. My next test alternative:-)

      Delete
  3. I'm another who will not support she-who-shall-not-be-named; today I finished assembly on my alternate, consisting of some 1/8" plexiglas that my husband had in the garage and a cheap frame from the dollar store. Just waiting for the glue to dry:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I was trying to do something anyone could make it without a handyman:-) Dob you have my email? I'd love a photo when you are done. Or are you in the Stamping Enablers group

      Delete
  4. I adjusted the supply list fo a 1/8" magnet. The 1/16 did not hold

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. LOL, didn't you know...it's called "Join This site" hahaha

      Delete
  6. My husband made me a PRESTA (PREcision STAmper) with 2 sheets of 8"x10" lexan from Lowe's, (look in the glass section) hinged together with nickel hinges, bordered with 3/4" strips of 1/4" lexan donated by a glass shop friend, glued everything together with Superglue. Yep, even the metal hinges. I also found a sheet of flashing that he cut with tin snips to fit inside the PRESTA, added some 1/4" grid paper cut to fit, a 2mm sheet of black fun foam for clear stamps, and covered the edges of the rim with red 3/4" duct tape found at Hobby Lobby. I also used a sheet of sticky back fun foam cut to fit for the bottom. If you can't get 1/4" lexan, use 1/4" thick wood strips, and if you don't have tin snips, go for the magnetic vent covers. I live in the South, and my local home improvement store doesn't carry them, hence the metal flashing. It works fabulously and only cost $18 for materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! Sounds wonderful, so nice to have a handy husband:-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I would love to see pictures of yours because it sounds great! Would you mind showing them? I showed my husband the other hinged tool being sold for an arm and leg and he said he would try to make it, but I bet it would help to see pictures of a homemade one. Happy stamping!

      Delete
    4. I have a prototype coming foe a "box" and positioner. I just wrote to see where the heck it is. If I like it I will post and it will probably cost $28

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much for this idea. I made 3 of them this week one for myself, a fried and my sister. Works great and we are excited to use them. I am planning to get some clear grid sheets for the top but haven't done that yet.

      Delete
    6. Thank you so much for this idea. I made 3 of them this week one for myself, a fried and my sister. Works great and we are excited to use them. I am planning to get some clear grid sheets for the top but haven't done that yet.

      Delete
  7. I have one that my friend made me out of a plastic notebook that closes with a clasp, another my husband made out of a photo frame and then the L Letterpress. Have the cuttlebug all in one being delivered Tuesday... can't wait to try that option... Awesome post Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you find a link for that notebook? It sounds interesting. Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  8. Great idea. A little ingenuity goes a long way. Wish I would have thought to try something like this before purchasing the unmentionable. Thanks for sharing! !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, I just joined your blog, thanks for sharing this creative idea. I have not ordered the unmentionable product, as I just haven't liked many things I've read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well aren't you the smartest crafter on the block! Sorry you had such a rough time of it with the crafter who shall not be named.....but kudos to you for working out a wonderful solution!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks. I have 1 or 2 more idea coming. This is meant to help others with an affordable solution:-) even without a handyman around

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is a link to another idea for a DYI stamp positioner
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OroCHt54r4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have it linked already in the post:-)

      Delete
  13. bachelle on etsy has a tool called stampRor
    It's not fancy but it works really well. I reach for it more than my pink tool. The plexi sheets are much thinner and you can feel when you have good contact between paper and stamp. Also you can use clear or red caked stamps without flipping in or out foam. No magnets or grids though I may add them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did see this and it looks interesting. Looks like it would work for clear only. Have you tried with cling cushion stamps? The other issue is paper positioning for exact re-stammping. Here is the link for anyne to check. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Bachelle?ref=shop_sugg

      I'd be happy to get any feedback, I did consider getting it to try but haven't yet:-)

      Delete
  14. Hi, Joyce....I am also looking for a way to make a copy of the unmentionable product......and am a widow so appreciate your singles info! Please keep posting ideas as you get them. I have given up on trying to find a VHF movie case as in the Hallmark video.

    ReplyDelete