Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bokeh Background

I have been wanting to do this technique for awhile now. I finally did it. I made this card for The Mod Squad Challenge which is to make a background. Be sure to go check it out as their is a grab bag of stamps and goodies as a prize!

http://modsquadchallenge.blogspot.com/

 INSTRUCTIONS

1. I used 140# watercolor paper 

2. Rub 3 different colors of Distress ink (Concord, Barn Door, Evergreen Bough) on my work mat and spritzed with water.

3. I wet my cardstock then using a wet #8 round paint brush I dropped spots of color all over. Ok, pretty ugly so far...LOL

4. Use a stencil with various size circles or sponges. I made cut a stencil on my Cameo (my friend Susan actually made the file). It had  large, medium and small circles in a random pattern. 

5. I used my Tim Holtz mini blending tool and pounced white pigment ink in the holes. Be sure to pounce not rub, especially if your background is watercolor. The ink will reactivate the water but pouncing works well.

6. Dry the ink. 

7. Move the stencil around and start filling in more circles. It is OK to overlap. I made this layer darker by drying and using a second coat.

8. For the final layer I filled in with mostly small circles and used 3 coats of white, drying between coats.

9. Ready to use!

Here is the card I made:


Pure Luxury Bubblegum Pink
Mother Of Pearl card base
Bokeh Technique for Background 
Pan Pastels over the sentiment

Entered into:

Crafting By Designs  Anything Goes
Stampavie And More  Butterflies
V's Sweet Challenge   Watercolor 

11 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS, Joyce. I love the subtle colors and how they blend together so nicely. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful art in our challenge this week.
    God bless you,
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    P.S. This month's challenge at V's Sweet Ideas is Water Color, and this card would be so perfect there as well. I hope you will share it here:
    www.vssweetideas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE this, Joyce. Thanks so much for sharing it in the Watercolor Challenge this month. I hope you will join us each month. It's wonderful to have you share your talents with us.
      Karen
      V's Sweet Ideas

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I did enter it as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! I may have to give this a go. Your project came out beautiful! Thanks for sharing and joining us at Inspiration Destination. Hope to see you again and good luck!
    Ema
    IDCB Owner

    ReplyDelete
  4. This background and the colors are fantastic. I love the bokeh look a lot myself and your card is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, this came out so good. I absolutely love this technique and I'm so glad the cut file worked out for you. Your card is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful - love the colors you chose. I'm definitely going to try this technique. Thanks for the great tutorial, it's going to help a lot. Super challenge this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet card!
    Thanks for joining us at Stampavie and More.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally adore this technique! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely your background.
    Thanks for playing with us at Inspiration Destination.
    Hope we see you again in a next challenge.
    xxx Michelle (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is fantastic! Thanks so much for the tutorial! And also thank you for taking part at SAM this time. Hope to see you back again.

    Hugs, Kiki

    ReplyDelete